Thursday, November 6, 2008

Wednesday and Thursday in Japan

I would have to say that Wednesday was and will be the hardest day at work. It is hard to train on modules which I only have the slightest idea of what they do. I was learning on the fly too. The rest of this week and next will be a breeze.

Well the excitement began on our way to meeting. The youngest worker had been touring with the family all day and met up with me at our hotel and helped us get to meeting. The subway was packed and with the whole family going, it was a chore to get on and off the subway. Once we had reached our desired subway stop we had another twenty minute walk. There were fifteen in the meeting including the five of us. Most of the houses are small and tall. I thought the houses in Paris were small, but here they are much smaller and much closer together. This place had three levels and the meeting was on the very top level. As with tradition here, our shoes remained at the front door and there was a box of slippers for anyone wanting a pair to wear through out the house.

Jet lag is still haunting me. After meeting I was baked. I could hardly keep my eyes open. Luckily we took the bus back and didn't have to walk. We have arranged a meeting place to meet the workers on Sunday so they can help us to the Sunday morning meeting. I believe Sunday will be a busy day and a good one. There will be g'mtg as well.

I've been having some awesome lunches as some of us go out. I've had salmon, lightly breaded chicken with a light cheese sauce, and ginger pork. I still need a lot of practice using chop sticks. The first day at lunch, the one lady looked quite worried and seemed very concerned that I was having so much trouble. Likely thinking, this man is going to stave. Each day it's getting easier. There are so many restaurants here. It's quite easy to order even if there is no English, as most restaurants have pictures of their menus. Let's just say I know how to point in Japanese. There are the common restaurants too such as Wendy's, McDonalds, Burger King and Subway.

Thursday morning we were eating breakfast and it dawned on us that they have not yet had meeting back home. The time difference sure seems strange. Thursday was uneventful, more training and a relaxing evening. We grabbed food for me and the kids. The two ladies went out for dinner without the distraction from kids. I had a good clam chowder.

Very different culture here. Here, the society is much bigger than the individual. Don't think we could say that for us. They very much abide by the rules.

That'll be it for today, still eating salad and rice for breakfast, I'd have to say I'm getting used to it.

No comments: